Saturday, October 31, 2009

Log Home Decorating Tips

We purchased a vacation cabin a few years ago, and now spend several weeks during our winter and summer vacations hanging out in northern Michigan. The cabin is situated on a huge lot near a lake, so there are plenty of things for us to do while up there. We can go fishing, boating, water skiing, and swimming in the summer, and go snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating, or play hockey in the winter. There are a variety of other families with vacation homes in the area as well, giving our kids lots of different playmates whenever we're there. No wonder everyone loves going to Michigan!

In anticipation of our next trip, I'm now looking into log home decorating tips to give the cabin a more lived-in look and feel. I didn't worry too much about dressing the place up before, because I figured we wouldn't be spending a lot of time indoors anyway. But after making friends with the neighbors, we have been entertaining guests more often than we thought. It's kind of embarrassing to invite folks over when we barely have enough chairs to seat everyone comfortably, so it is time to institute some changes.

Since I do not have a creative bone in my body, I am lucky that there are so many places to find log home decorating ideas that have worked well for other people. For instance, I was at a bookstore the other day and saw a bunch of books and magazines dedicated specifically to log decorating. These publications featured tons of color photos of beautiful, rustic decor that would look great in our cabin, as well as ideas for accessories such as side tables, lamps, chandeliers, clocks, throw rugs, and more.

Along with magazines and books, I've found a whole slew of websites that offer free log decorating ideas online. Again, these sites feature amazingly detailed photos that show how the items actually look in a cabin. I've just started looking for inspiration and I've already found about 10 different rooms that I want to replicate exactly in my own place. I'm not sure how I'm ever going to be able to whittle down these choices to a select few. All the wooden furniture, floor-to-ceiling stone fireplaces, and luxurious leather sofas have me positively drooling for more! I better watch myself or I'm going to end up spending way too much money!

Next time we head up to our cabin, I have a feeling we're going to be hauling a trailer full of furniture and accessories along with us. After seeing just some of the log home decorating ideas that are out there, I am convinced that I can turn our plain living quarters into a cozy, comfy retreat that will be a welcome refuge after a long day of play!